After a open apology from Najib and Pak Lah’s failed efforts to communicate with this elusive man, Bukit Bendera Umno division chief Ahmad Ismail suddenly pops up but refused to apologise over his alleged racist remark calling the Chinese community “immigrants who do not deserve equal rights”.
“Why should I apologise? I didn’t do anything wrong. Those who do wrong should apologise but I haven’t done anything,” Ahmad said, when met outside his Bayan Baru office Thursday.
He, however, refused to comment on whether the press misquoted him. His defiance makes a mockery of Najib’s apology and Pak Lah’s wishy washy response and clearly shows that the UMNO’s top leadership has lost control over their division heads who have become ‘little napoleans’ or warlords onto themselves. This appears to be a dangerous trend and if left unchecked could spell trouble for the party and BN.
Ahmad Ismail: I’ll not apologise
The elusive Ahmad Ismail, the man at the centre of a ‘racial slur’ controversy, said today he would not apologise even after the deputy prime minister has already done so on his behalf.
The Bukit Bendera Umno division chief added that he did not feel sorry and would not recant his alleged racist remarks against Chinese Malaysians during the recent by-election campaign in Permatang Pauh.
“I am not apologetic because I didn’t do anything wrong,” the Umno division leader from Penang told Malaysiakini via telephone today.
This is Ahmad’s first public statement since the controversy erupted last week.
Arguing that ‘one is innocent until proven guilty’, the Bukit Bendera Umno leader decried the public trial on the issue conducted by certain quarters, including the media.
“As far as I am concerned, I did not say or do anything wrong. So why should I apologise?” said the local Umno strongman, who promised to give a full statement at a specially-arranged press conference in Penang this Saturday.
The press conference at the Penang Umno building would be held after a state liaison committee meeting chaired by party president and Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
Meanwhile, Star Online reported that Abdullah had been unable to reach Ahmad.
“I have been trying to get Ahmad but have not managed to contact him. I know the journalists have been trying to contact him,” he was quoted as saying.
“Insyallah, we’ll get him. Where can he escape to? When I go to Penang, I will surely see him,” said the prime minister.